The growing Aviation Industry across the world provides an option for the young girls to fulfill their dream by opting for a profession of “Air Hostess”. The air hostess is the primary career line in the industry. Air Hostess career falls under the “Aviation and Hospitality Management”. The Air Hostess profession is also known as the “Flight Attendant” or “Cabin Crew’. The first flight attendant was a German named Heinrich Kubis in 1912 and Ellen Church was the first female flight attendant employed by United Airlines in 1930. She was 25 years old then.
- Good communication skills in spoken English. Other foreign languages may be required as per your profession.
- Age should be 18 – 26 years.
- Any graduate degree or 10+2 with a degree in hospitality,
- Height of min 157.5 centimeters.
- Weight proportionate to the height
- Eligible for an Indian Passport
- Perfect eyesight 6/24 vision in each eye
- Good health
- Fair to a clear complexion
Skills & Attributes
- Communication and interactive skills
- Language proficiency
- Pleasant voice
- Team spirit
- Positive attitude
- Sense of humor
- Sense of responsibility
- Alert and attentive mind.
- Good physique
- Patience to work long hours
- Good appearance
Air hostesses should always be smartly dressed and well-groomed. Visible tattoos or piercings are not allowed in the career of an air hostess. Air hostess has the opportunity to work & interact with a variety of people from different backgrounds and cultures. Air hostess has the responsibility to greet and guide every passenger, coordinates security, and much more. Men can also opt for the same job and are called ‘stewards’ Rs 50,000 and Rs 1,50,000 are the course fee depending on the course and the institute. But for becoming an air hostess, Aim should be getting selected by an airline. Airlines give free training with a stipend. It makes the course even more economical to learn.
There are three types of courses for the profession i.e. Degree courses, Diploma courses, Certificate courses. The duration of the courses is three years, one year and 6-3 months respectively.
Some of certificate Air Hostess courses are-
- Air Hostess Training (certification)
- Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant (certification)
- Flight Purser (certification)
- Aviation Management and Hospitality (certification)
- Aviation Customer Service (certification)
- Airlines Hospitality (certification)
- Hospitality and Air travel Management (certification)
- Airline Passenger Service (certification)
- Diploma in Air Hostess training
- Diploma in Cabin Crew/Flight Attendant training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Aviation Customer Care
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in International Airline and Travel Management(PG)
- Diploma in Travel, Hospitality and Tourism Management
- B.Sc. in Air Hostess training
- B.Sc. Aviation.
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management.
- Bachelor of Travel and Tourism Management.
- Degree in International Airline and Travel Management.
COURSE CONTENT AND SYLLABUS
There is basic format irrespective of the course and the institute offering it, Some of the fundamental concepts and subjects taught in this program are-
- Passenger handling
- Passenger psychology
- Flight evaluation
- Aircraft familiarization
- Airport familiarization
- In-flight procedures
- Emergency situation handling
- Food & catering services
- Personality development
- Communication skills
- Leadership and inter-department coordination
- First aid
- Grooming and presentation
- Technical training (basic Aircraft functions, safety procedures, etc)
Air hostess has to undergo an initial screening. This is followed by a written test, group discussion, and personal interviews. Selected candidates have to undergo the necessary training.
Domestic airlines pay about Rs.25000 – Rs. 40000 to the air hostess. International airlines offer better and higher salary packages. You may earn a salary of up to Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 75,000 in domestic airlines after some years of experience. Private airlines pay even higher i.e. up-to Rs.2 lakh per month.
Career Scope & Job Prospects
if you’re crazy for promotions, studying and skill development is a constant requirement. After approximately 10 years of service as an air hostess, you will be promoted to jobs such as Ground Hostess, Check Hostess, or other airline-related jobs.